May 8, 2010

From Butterflies to Battlewounds!

We had our first parental scare. 
It was bound to happen.
It of course happens when I'm home alone. 
It MAY OR MAY NOT have been a little over dramatic........on my part.  

It had been a rough morning. 
"Time out" twice before the clock stroke ten a.m. 
I had been patient up until I had bite marks on my arm to prove my battle wound. 
I was just an innocent by-standard

It was going to be a LONG DAY I knew it and she knew it. 
That was until she requested to brush the sugar bugs out of her teeth.
I was excited thinking, yes I am doing something right. My child WANTS to brush her teeth!!!
So here we are with butterfly wings and all standing on a stool brushing our teeth. 
I had no other option other than to GRAB MY CAMERA and try and remember this moment.
Because based off of our track record already for the day,
I was certain I was going to need this as a refresher later on that day. 

That was until I put the camera down, went to grab the towel and
DOWN SHE WENT!! 
I turned just as she falling. 
It seemed like slow motion.
I remember seeing her chin in the counter
Reaching for her
but not quite fast enough
I feel responsible
I feel awful
At first I thought she just hit her chin.
Until
Blood started gushing and gushing and gushing
I checked to see if all of her teeth we still there.
Then blood just below her lip and it came and came and came
She had bit THREW her lip with two teeth. 
She was screaming. 
I have to idea what to do.
Call my mom!!!
No answer but I know she will call back the second she gets the disturbing voice mail. 
Call big sis! 
She knows something is wrong and immediately talks me through it.
Casey calls, I start to cry. 
Then the best part (if there is such a thing)
Olivia looks at me and says
"MOMMY YOU ARIGHT" (alright)

I call the pediatrician. 
They tell me to bring her in.
Thankfully it's not enough to do stitches.
It is swollen and probably will scar.
We all need our first battle wound


3 comments:

Angie said...

OH man it is so scary when that happens...Glad you got through it ok and sounds like Olivia was a real trooper! I am sure that there will be many more battle wounds for that girl unfortunately

Jamie said...

Don't beat yourself up; it happens to all of us! Hope Olivia is feeling better!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Oh poor girl! This incident is an almost daily occurance in our house. Someone is always finding ways to hurt themselves. Sigh... Hope Olivia feels better soon!