Well I know many of you have been waiting to hear our story of how this beautiful little girl came to our family. First of all we don’t want anyone to think that we were keeping you in the dark, because literally all of this occurred within 24 hours! Let me repeat myself 24 hours!!! We’ve waited nearly 7 years and for all of it to come to a screeching halt so fast isn’t it ironic. With a having a few adoptions fall through, we’ve always said and wished that we would just get a phone call and not have to deal with the ups and downs. So here we are. We did just that, we had a conversation with a friend who knew about this birth mom who was dealing with some things and knew that it was best to place this baby girl in a home where she could be taken care of and loved. In no way can anyone place judgment upon her because she put herself aside and did what was best for her. She did what was best for this precious child, we are truly grateful for women like her that recognize this and become truly selfless.
Once we knew that we could meet Olivia, remember we were just informed of her on Thursday night, we talked about going to meet her sometime in the weekend. But needless to say we didn’t sleep much Thursday night and spent a long time on our knees asking for comfort and peace to know what to do. Casey came home from work on Friday afternoon and we just said we can’t wait until Sunday to see her we have to go now. So we made a couple phone calls and headed up to
As we first saw her she was laughing and playing and we just walked up to her started playing and she went right to us, and we never put her down!!! We took her to the park to do the normal thing you do at a park right…….think about parenthood and what the heck you are doing!!!! She is truly amazing, we went back to the house and neither of us I think wanted to say it out loud for the fear that the other would think they were absolutely crazy. But we both said, if we take her home tonight that is insane!!! But we also said that we couldn’t let her out of our site and we couldn’t let her go! And yet the most insane part was that it didn’t feel crazy it felt normal, it felt like we were finally a family, if felt like we were complete and we now had the part of our heart that we didn’t even know was missing.
So yes, we came home that night with a little baby girl sleeping in our car. We called our families and told them the news..SUPRISE!!! And ever since we made up our minds that this little girl was ours and it just took a little longer for her to find us, we never looked back. It seems normal and complete. She already has us (especially daddy) wrapped around her fingers. She has an awesome personality and like I told Casey tonight, I love this stage, but I know that she is going to be hilarious and I can’t wait until she says the funniest things and reveals all of our family secrets to her nursery and primary teachers. We have been on cloud 9 (aaahhh clouds…reminds me of sleep….which reminds me of the sleep I used to get….sorry just had a moment) since that night. She belongs in our family. Its amazing how we love her so much I can’t even explain and how it feels completely normal and peaceful to have her in our home. Its hard to remember what I did of any importance before she came. We needed her as much as she needed us.
Here are a couple of thoughts I have already realized...
I’m willing to give up it all for Olivia
I knew Casey would be an amazing father but I truly had no idea he would be so incredible.
I loved the first time that I heard Casey from the other room changing her diaper (apparently a blow out) and I heard him say “I love you, I love you, I love you, or else I wouldn’t be doing this”
I have already done a million “motherly” things I swore I would never do!! One being have my child wear anything with Winnie the Poo on it, don’t panic I only allow her to wear diapers with them on it, I haven’t lost it all!!!
I love the dimples in her chunky fingers
She loves looking at herself in the mirror, especially in the mornings after her bath.
She’s a good eater, even though her mother is feeding her those awful baby peas. But I act like I like them. (It’s a beautiful thing)
I can’t wait to take pictures of her everyday
I can’t wait for her first Christmas, Halloween, Birthday, and 4th of July.
She loves to watch football with her daddy.
We love that she holds her bottle by herself and will occasionally grab your hand to help her hold it (when she’s super tired)
I love her laugh.
I love the color of her skin.
I love her curly hair.
I can’t wait to take her sledding and one day drink hot chocolate with her
She is so good in her stroller; she just is quite and acts like she’s taking it all in one day at a time.
She’s already growing up so fast. The only thing is that pictures don’t always capture that perfect moment
She’s the only person that I don’t mind waking up in the middle of the night for.
She loves to touch and feel everything.
She loves when we read to her.
We love making fools of ourselves and making the most absurd noises and faces just to see what she’ll do and if she’ll laugh or not.
I love that her eyes are so brown that I can see my reflection in her eyes when I rock her to sleep. I just hope that one day my reflection is something she wants to be like.
I love when she wakes up in the middle of the night and when we come in the room she smiles, wants to play and thinks its morning. Not so much “sista” back to sleep!
She is so stinking strong, I love that she is sitting up and rolling over. She’ll be crawling probably within the next week or two. I just want to freeze time so I can enjoy a little bit of the baby stage.
I wish all of you could see her eat. I truly can’t get it in her mouth fast enough. If she could be on a strict liquid diet she would so it could cut down some of the feeding time.
Its amazing how for so many years I asked my self “WHY”, WHY do we have to wait to long, WHY aren’t we able to have kids? WHY can’t we have the one thing we are asked to do and be family? WHY does everyone who’s pregnant hate to be pregnant? WHY do some people say the stupidest things, and think for some reason Casey and I get it easy because we are adopting? WHY do some people take there kids for granted and not love ever minute? With all of those questions I asked for years and years, but in an instant I forgot the pain, I realized it is ALL worth it to hold her, feel her, to touch her, to watch her, It feels like all of that in the past is just that; in the past and yet I know Casey and I have learned so much about ourselves it was worth it, not easy but worth it.
Thank you all for you love and support, it truly has been amazing to see all of the love Olivia is surrounded by and how many people have prayed for her arrival. So thank you, thank you, thank you. And to show our thanks one day (when we can stand to leave her) we may call you to baby-sit!!!
By the way I am completely aware that this post is very “motherly” but “A”- I don’t care and “B” I’m saving these cheesy posts so on those rough days I can remember how sweet this is!!
12 comments:
There really is nothing like becoming a mom, especially the first time. What a blessing she is! Congratulations again! Your family is beautiful.
Okay ... way to make me all teary! You are SUCH an amazing mom already! Olivia is SO lucky to have you and you are so lucky to have her. Perfectly said, all of it. I love you tons and tons and I'm so glad to call you my little sister and best friend!
Give "LIV" lots of hugs and kisses from Auntie Jill!
That is just amazing Amy..you truly give me hope in one day having a baby of my own too! Thanks for posting that..and once again I am so happy for you guys, she is beautiful and you deserve to be happy!
Sobbing... absolutely sobbing now. Thanks a lot! :) I loved that post... thanks for writing it. I can't wait to meet her.
That is the most amazing story!! I am so happy for you and casey!! She is so beautiful I love her big brown eyes.
i need to stop reading your blog on days when i am alreay feeling a little unstable cause i just sit and cry! its a good cry though...cause i'm just so happy for you. she is one of the most beautiful babies i have ever seen. i can see how you can get lost in those brown eyes! i am trying to figure out my schedule so we can talk pictures! love ya
Amy..I new that you would always be such an amazing mom! You have such a great calmness(is that a word) about you! I am so very excited for you to be a mom forever and all eternity! Congrats to both of you!
lovely post! So I wrote this long comment that I was pretty proud of and how happy I was for you and then my computer ran out of battery and I lost it and cannot reproduce it so bottom line.....I am so happy for you and think you guys are wonderful parents.
Ahh, that's so awesome. Even being the insensitive and emotionless guy that I am, that was touching.
I hope you print that whole post out for when she gets older.
Wow! What a great story. I love all your loves about Olivia. You are already a great mom!! Can't wait to see you on Sat.
Thanks for inviting me to your blog! I got tears in my eyes reading your post. I am so happy for you and Casey. You were positively glowing when I saw you yesterday. It's amazing how these tiny creatures grab onto our hearts and never let go....
Hi, I'm an old friend of Tandy and she referred me to your blog since me and my husband are going through something very similar. Friday we got the call that a birth mom and dad have decided they can't provide for their newborn girl as they'd like and are considering us to adopt her. If it all works out, we'll have her this week! I'm all nervous and on edge as this is so sudden.
It's been fun to read your point of view and love for your little girl. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment