January 7, 2013

Marquee Lights



 
I was asked for my Studio 5 segment to pick something that on one of my Pinterest boards that I have wanted to do.  I immediately knew that I wanted to try these Marquee letters.  I searched online for lights, walked the aisles, then my fabulous system said she bought some at Target. Hello BINGO! So the materials you need for this project are;
String lights - Target $12.99
8' Papermache Letters  - Joann's $4.99 (use their coupon)
Xacto knife - Walmart $2 or $3 bucks I'm guessing
Crafters Paint and Brush

NOTE: Spray paint doesn't work well on these letters so I wouldn't waste your time or hard earned cash. 

Get your paper mache letters and first figure out how many bulbs you want to include on each letter.  I spaced mine, from the center mark, about every 1 1/2". The strand of lights comes with 25 lights so you can tuck your excess lights (minus the bulbs) in the back of the letter once you have attached all your bulbs. 


Take a knife and on the back side of each letter cut around the edges of the letter, removing the backing.  Once the back is off, remove the small pieces of cardboard in the letter. 



Take an Xacto knife and cut your markings, making a star shape.  Flip the knife over, using the top end and push through the hole making it larger. 


I figured out that that a AAA battery works well to make the hole bigger.  Twist your bulb to make sure that you have made your hole big enough. Make sure not to stretch it to much.  Paint your letters your desired color, I used craft paint and it took about 2 coats.  Add your lights once the paint dries and there you go!!! You have your own marquee letter. 

 
 



5 comments:

Kelsey Bang said...

you are so amazing! what a job well done! love it!

Lolly Jane said...

Love this, Amy! So flippin cool!!

Sharstin said...

this is fab! love it

Amy said...

I am so making some of these!! I am so glad I found your blog. You are the cutest!!

Bridgette Nicole said...

Ok, that is incredible! You are so talented, I LOVE your blog girl!
-Bridgette
http://bridgettenicole.blogspot.com