August 24, 2012

Back to School

Unfortunately summer is wrapping up and time to sharpen our pencils.
Growing up I always loved school, for the social party of course.
But something about the smell of new clothes and school supplies gets me giddy. 
 
Kids I think are excited to go back.
Mothers are even more excited for kids to go back. 
I remember I bawled my eyes out last year, when my daughter went to school for the first time.
Can't say that is going to happen this time around (still gonna miss her like crazy though)
 
But the first day back can be kind of crazy madness so hopefully
a little planning ahead can help you and the kids enjoy the first day a little more.
Here are some ideas for that crazy 1st day of school. 
 

Celebrate the Day
We typically start summer off with a bang, a party, and a neighborhood gathering.
Sooooooo why don't we do the same thing for school?
We are excited right?  So we should party!
How fun would it be to have a banner outside as the kiddos go to leave for school.
Get a running start on the school year by running through the banner.
I purchased the number cards at the dollar store and sewed them together.
You could tape the cards to crepe paper as well for an even easier tear.
Come on you know you would want to run through this!


 
Calming Hearts
Don't you remember having your heart beating out of your chest because you were both excited and nervous as all get out.  I get nervous just thinking about it, the anticipation, the excitement, the unknown of what was going to happen during the school year.
 But especially the first day, would I know anyone in my class, did I still have friends????
I love the idea of having kids know that their moms are thinking of them
 even though we can't be with them. You can sew these simple hearts with felt and embroidery floss.
These hearts can be placed in their pockets and they can squeeze the heck out of it when they get nervous and no one will know! 

 
Breakfast Breakfast Breakfast.
Yes we all know it is the most important meal of the day,
however that doesn't mean it is the easiest by any means.
I think it's ok to cheat on breakfast on the first day of school, and it may or may not continue throughout the rest of the school year.
Make it simple!!!
Buy some frozen mini pancakes, french toast sticks, etc
and your kids will think you spent hours making a finger food breakfast just for them. 
 
 
 
Teacher Appreciation
Don't forget the 2nd most important person regarding the school year.
Our Teachers!!
They all deserve a lil something something.
I call this the secret stash.
These little tote bags are easy to assemble and are easy to disguise treats for your teachers.
(Tutorial on these bags coming soon)
 
 
Teachers always seem to have their hands full of papers, books, etc.
Give a gift and sssshhhhh this only cost $3!
I purchased this tote bag at Hobby Lobby for $3 and using a fabric marker
I made a template to give the bag a little personality. 
 
 
1st Day Snapshots
Remember how every year you want a cute picture of your kid on the first day of school and the moment comes just before they turn and
 run into class and before you know it.....you didn't get a picture.
Help with the stress of the infamous need of the perfect picture and try something new.
Try going to the school a few days prior to the 1st day and see how much more relaxed they are.
No distractions of seeing old classmates & nerves out of this world.
Spend a few minutes making a sign to welcome the new school year so 10 years from now you don't have to figure out what grade that was for.
 

 
Welcome Home
How fun would it be to have your own homework station?
I scored in finding this old desk at a school garage sale.
Three Dollars folks! eeekk.
I painted it the color I wanted and sprayed the top with Chalkboard paint.
(which I will probably regret in 2 weeks)
But regardless a personal homework station to add to the office, or their rooms.
Eliminating homework being spread all over the kitchen table (wishful thinking I know)
 

How fun is it to reminisce memories especially when we are so
getting old and don't remember things as well as we used to.
Create a after school activity for the first day for kids to come home
and fill out a questionnaire from their first day.  But away the time capsule and
bring out for your summer party and see how things have changed throughout the year and hopefully learned a thing or two!

 
 

4 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

You are so stinkin' creative!!! And, I'm so glad you got to go to Miami with your hubs. Fun, fun, fun!

Sharstin said...

um...how cute are you! love these and she looks adorable!

softpearl said...

I love your blog! Great job! :)

softpearl said...

I love your blog! Great job! :)