I want to talk about our words. The things we say to others that are hurtful, insensitive, ignorant, and painful.
I am guilty of this I know, and I am working on this trust me. However, like with most experiences in life, unless you experience something first hand you can't fully understand where others are coming from. But also believe in common sense. This is all something we all could work on. To be a better person. To be a better example. To be more Christ like. I often think of what I have said to others that has been hurtful or come out the wrong way. And trust me I understand when people say things that aren't meant to be hurtful. But my hope is that by sharing this with you that maybe just maybe you may think about it next time you witness, possibly say, or think of one of these instances.
Since the day we adopted Olivia, literally I have been amazed and what others feel entitled to say to me about her. About our situation. I know some people just don't get it. Some people really are insensitive, but I also try and give people the benefit of the doubt and just think that people didn't mean any harm. But again if one person can read this and think about it I will feel better and I'm sure Olivia and kids like her will appreciate it as well.
I wish I was kidding when I say that usually on a daily occurrence someone feels the need to comment on Olivia's race, skin color, etc. I have heard awful things like "Where did you get her?", "Where is she from?", "what is she?"
Me being the sarcastic person that I am, I have to include some humor or back lashing. So here it goes, let me answer some of the above questions for you;
"Where did you get her?" - Let's see I don't know under a rock possibly? I kidnapped her? Or what I want to say, bend over I will show you!! (sorry Mom)
"Where is she from?" - Sit down, grab a pen and paper and let's have a chat about the birds and the bee's because apparently your mother didn't have "the talk" with you. I really want to ask, and probably will one day respond with "I don't know, where did you come from?"
"What is she?" - She's a FREAKING HUMAN BEING!!! Or how about MY DAUGHTER!!!
Whew! That felt a little better. I sometimes want to respond with these answers and actually have on several occasions. But like I said before I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and not make things awkward or weird for people so I usually reply nicely and go on my merry little way! But never in my mind can I actually comprehend that people think it's ok to ask these type of questions. I mean really can you imagine walking up to someone you may/not know and say "what are you?".
As an adoptive parent it's hard enough as it is to know that you didn't carry this child. And then to have to take each opportunity to feel like you have to explain yourself. ADOPTION doesn't define my child. Her RACE doesn't define her. Sometimes I say, yes she is adopted if I feel like this person may want to know more about adoption or be familiar with it. Adoption is a beautiful and yet hard thing. And many times people in similar situations want to know other stories or may someone who is trying to adopt. On the other hand SHE IS MY DAUGHTER. I don't feel like I have to explain our story to every Tom Dick and Harry.
Many times I am asked these questions while their children are standing right next to them. I find this the most disturbing. How dare you let this ignorance be passed onto your child. Those with children know how your child watches, hears, and then repeats EVERYTHING YOU DO. Please take the opportunities to show your children that it doesn't matter what race, religion, or special needs those around us have. Does it really matter? I think it's critical that yes we talk about these things but in a manner that is informative but not opinionated. If you look at the behavior of a child do they notice?
I understand that I knew this would be an obstacle when we adopted Olivia. But I will also defend my child till the day I die.
On another note I want to talk about Adoption and Pregnancy. I have also had several hurtful things said to me about adoption and pregnancy. Adoption isn't easy, it in no way is the easy road to have a family. After 10 years of trying to get pregnant and being told that I will never be able carry my own child. I will never be able to feel my child kick with in my own body. I have always wanted to be able to walk around and make that funny noise your pregnant women make when you're out of breath. Or be able to rest my hands on my belly in awe of what my body is capable of. I will never be able to experience the ultrasound or finding out the sex of my baby. I even crave the morning sickness. I long for that feeling. I have literally lost myself in my tears with the pain of feeling like I'm not a true woman for not being able to experience this. Not to mention the hardness this trial takes on your marriage and companionship. It feels like a gap in your relationship. Not to mention the failed adoptions that we have experienced when the birth mother, in her own agency, changed her mind, as we waited at home to find out when the baby was going to be born.
I remember specifically one instance where I was lost. I literally felt like there wasn't a soul in the world who knew what I was going through. No one. I was running one night and a cheesy song came on my ipod "My Daughter's Eyes" and even though this sounds like it's from a Hallmark Movie, I lost it. Right there on the road. I wanted to give up. The ONE THING I wanted more than anything in this world I couldn't have. It wasn't like I was asking for a million dollars. Not being able to carry your own child is one of those things that no one can fix for you. I don't know what it is like to carry your own child. I don't pretend to know. But I would give up anything in this world for that opportunity. So just as I don't pretend to know your pains, your discomfort, your challenges while being pregnant. Please don't try and know mine. I know that sounds harsh and trust me there are many friends and people who have been so kind and sensitive to us and we love you for that.
As an adoptive parent you have to go through experiences and time to feel that connection with your child. At least for me, I had, and still have instances where I gain knowledge and feel the spirit tell me that this is my child. She was brought to us a different way, a special way, but you still long for that feeling like this is your child because it doesn't happen like most people.
Please, myself included, remember to watch what you say, how you treat others, how you react when someone else says something inappropriate or unkind.
I want my daughter to know and will do everything in my power to let her know throughout her life that she is amazing.Yes, that she is our daughter. Yes, that I love her. And yes, she will watch me by example of how I treat others. The day you came into our life, it changed forever. I will try to be a better person because of you. You have taught me more about myself and others than anyone else.



9 comments:
Beautifully said! Love ya Amy :)
I truly look up to you and your strength as a mother and a woman! Thank you for sharing, I know I have learned a little something about myself from reading your thoughts. We are all so different and we will all experience different trials and hardships and only our Savior really knows what we are going through and feel. I know most people have good intentions, but the goal, i believe would be to become more loving, compassionate and "Christ-like" everyday! Boy, I have a lot to work on!!!
I hope that I have in no way offended or hurt you by saying something without thinking...and if I have, I am truly sorry!!
Our families are our most treasured gifts no matter how they come about! And....yours is perfect, darling, and well, to die for!
Loves
Amy, I'm so surprised to read this post in this day and age. I find it hard to believe that people notice, much less, pay any attention to mixed families these days. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE! And, it's such a BEAUTIFUL thing to see a couple who has difficulty bringing their babies into the world (re)united at last with a baby - even if there was another way of getting it here. I can't imagine that you hear those things every day, and I'm so sorry you have to endure that. I'm glad to hear that you speak up to them sometimes. I'm sure it's hard to say something back to them, but if it's worded right, it could be really helpful to these people who obviously haven't been taught that their words can be painful. I mean, maybe you could state it to them (especially the ones with little kids) - in an educational way - like, "Wow, the way you just worded that question really hurts my feelings, or makes me feel like you are judging my daughter" something like that - so they at least LEARN from the hurt they are causing you. Maybe (and I know this is hard to believe) but just maybe they don't realize what they're doing.
Also, I have to admit - although I would NEVER EVERY say anything (because I'd rather not hurt anyone) - I have to admit there have been times when I've seen a family with a different race of baby and I've thought it was really cute and wondered what race it was - but I've never dared to ask just because of this very situation - so I wonder if there IS a way to ask a question like that without offending? I hope I'm not offending you - but I do think since you've opened the door to the discussion, I'd love to be able to ask that - and how would I do it without offending? Or should I just avoid the situation? Just wondering.
Hang in there - I think your family rocks and admire you all so much for enduring the 10 years of hardship that you did (and maybe still do?) - and for putting up with the crap that comes with adoption. I'm just so grateful you have her and she has you. In the end, that's all that matters.
Oh Amy... On my way to work this morning I heard that song "My daughters eyes" and I immediately thought about you. I hadn't read your post and just now reading it I almost cried. I hope you know that I love you! My family loves your family and I hope that none of us have ever said anything that has hurt you. It is so hard for me to relate and sometimes I just never know what to say in these situations. But I hope you know that I continually think about you and your situation. Olivia was meant for your family. I believe in destiny and she was destined to be yours. Love you!
Amy, I am so sorry. This post brought tears to my eyes. I hope I have never said anything that hurt you in anyway. If I did, I am soooooooo sorry for that. I think when you first adopted Olivia, I asked you about her race. I really didn't mean anything offensive by it. I was, honestly, just curious because I thought she was so beautiful. Now that I think about it, that probably wasn't very nice of me. I hope you can forgive me for being insensitive. I love you to pieces & really look up to you. Hugs from me. :)
Amy, I truly hope I haven't offended you or your sweet little family. I love you guys! I think you're some amazing, down to earth people, hard to come by these days! Little Miss O is beautiful! People do say some strange stuff, especially strangers. I've been asked if I was 'babysiting' Isaiah while I was at McDonald's or somwhere, I was like, 'what the...?' I think people do mean well and don't realize when they say things. I truly hope I haven't offended you, if I have, I'm sorry! You have a BEAUTIFUL family. P.S. I need more help on my blog.
Hugs,
Julie
xx. Julie
Hi Amy, I have followed your blog for a while and love to read what you have to say, especially about your daughter and her adoption. I am a friend and neighbor of Laura Alvord and you and I went to High School together, but really didn't know each other. I myself couldn't have children and have adopted my two beautiful kids. I can understand and relate to everything you have said. One of the hardest things I hear all the time is, you are so lucky that you don't have to get all fat and miserable and you didn't have to go through any pain to get your babies. Little do they know I have had three surgeries and a hysterectomy at age 27 and now have the body of a 60 year old woman, and have to take my hormone meds everyday! And I would give anything like you said to go through those things. They also don't know what its like to have to go to an adoption agency and have every part of your life looked at under a microscope and fill out piles of paperwork and go through multiple interviews and have your home searched and then have to pay the price of a new car just to get that baby! My son is full caucasian and looks like my husband so not much was said to us when we adopted him, but my daughter is caucasian/hispanic and has dark skin and the tightest curly hair. I can't go ANYWHERE without being stopped and having ignorant comments made and I have cried several times. I wish I had some good advice to give on how to respond but I don't, I am shocked and upset everytime I hear it. My mom tells me to say, she is mine I delivered her after having an affair with another man! She wants to see the shock on their faces for once! I haven't dared to say it yet but I think I am close! Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, you can think of me and I can think of you! It might be dumb that I posted a comment I just really feel like you know EXACTLY how I feel. Good luck! Brittan B.
Very well said Amy. I don't know if you remember me from our Pilgrims landing ward, but I also went to HS with Casey. People can be pretty ignorant and I'm sorry people have said such things, even if it was out of curiosity. I actually think I might be guilty of similar crimes. I know since we've adopted, I'm a little more cautious as to what I ask or say.
Our oldest is adopted and it seemed once people find out that he's adopted, usually the first question out of their mouth is, "why couldn't you have kids?" Which always bugged me. Why do they think that it's up for open discussion as to why I couldn't have kids. Some people I don't mind telling. We've since been able to have three biological, but not with out help. People always seem to say, "wow you adopted and then all of a sudden you were able to get pregnant". No people, it took some help. Unless people have gone through it, they'll never understand. Even my husband and I can't understand what most people who have had infertility issues and then adopted have gone through. Our son's birth mom over the past 7 years has gone through more infertility issues than we did. And she has even said that she doesn't think that she could go through the adoption process. It would drive me crazy when people told me we were doing it the easy way. My brother once said that to me and I almost smacked him. It's anything but easy. Not only do you have all the emotional scars of infertility and years of trying, but you also have the ups and downs of the adoption process.
Maybe next time someone asks you what she is and where she came from, you could just reply, "she's a child of God and she came from Heaven." To tell you the truth I think Olivia looks a lot like Casey. She is a beautiful little girl and so blessed to have you guys as her parents! Keep up the good work and don't ever feel bad about defending your daughter, even if it means you might offend someone in the process.
I've been through this same thing and I know what you are experiencing first hand. When your child/children don't look like you, people notice. They comment. They don't mean to be rude or insensitive (usually), but it can still hurt.
Please don't hang onto this and let it fester and make you bitter. It will never go away, because you are always going to be white and your daughter is always going to be black. And people are always going to notice. There is nothing wrong with noticing and acknowledging our differences. In fact, it is very natural and healthy to do so. However, it is wrong to treat people differently, or preferentially, because of how they look.
You posted some time ago that you were proud to have a "black" president. This troubled me. How is that statement any different than someone saying they are proud to have a "white" president? You let Obama's skin color matter. If we don't want our children's skin color to define them, than we can't allow ourselves to use it to define other people. Just some food for thought.
Post a Comment