January 20, 2009

CHANGE!



Today is a remarkable day. No matter your views. Whatever you believe. I think for a while unfortunately I was naive enough to think that this wasn't a big deal. Yes admittedly raised in my little box I never had to face the challenges that those of color have had. And in no way do I compare my brief experiences with those who have their entire lives.

But I can't help but look at my daughter who is half black and think how today could be a change for her life. We think we have come so far, and we have, yet we still have so far to go. I have people on a daily basis who comment on the color of my daughters skin, with well intentions or not. I continuously get frustrated with WHY does it matter. She is a human being, she is a daughter, she is a friend.

And yet all day I have been glued to the TV today wondering how I have contributed to CHANGE. That five letter word has been the theme of this presidency and yet I wonder why hasn't changed occurred until now? Isn't is within our control as citizens to play our part? I know this presidency is more than the color of someones skin, but it a day we all should think about. I love the country we live in, how blessed am I to be able to share what I want, to say what I want, to believe what I want.

I may not agree with any/all that President Obama represents.
But I will respect him.
I will honor him.
I will NOT worship him.
I have other men that I worship and believe more in, but I will respect him enough for the challenge that he has taken on for our country.

I hope we have change in our future. Change for the good. Does that mean that hard times aren't ahead? I don't think so. Whatever we have in store I hope that I can do my part, I hope that we all are a little less critical and judgemental, I hope that we are ready for change but aren't to quick to forget all that has occurred in the past for the good!

Whew that is enough of me and my soapbox, particularly a political soapbox, but I wanted to remember my thoughts and feelings of this great day.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Beautifully said Am! I was just sitting down to put some similar thoughts together!

Love you lots!

Brenda said...

Amy Twitty for President!

Aubrey said...

I agree that it was a remarkable day. I found myself with leaky eyes for much of the day.
Yay for change!

Unknown said...

Amy! Hey girlfriend.... do you have any of the photo's from Becca's 10 years? Would you mind emailing me some? I'd love to see them!