I had the lucky privilege to go on Studio 5 the other day.
I really do love the opportunity to have an creative out and an excuse to push myself.
It's fun and it's stressful but I really try and have fun with it. I never know how long I will be able to do this. This segment was on Glass Jar's and Containers. It was a challenge to come up with something new that we haven't seen 428 times on Pinterest. But then I thought it doesn't always have to be something out of the box. Sometimes we just need a visual and a little explanation on how to do it and that's what I wanted to focus on. I truly believe that everyone can do crafts, yes sometimes they require a tool or to and maybe more than 15 mins but I really try to keep my crafts within a reasonable budget and things that everyone can do. So let's get started.
If you want to check the segment out you can here. Sorry I can't figure out how to link the video here. http://studio5.ksl.com/?nid=59&sid=22885352
Metal Art - Have you ever not wanted to spend a fortune on those candle holders that look really expensive? Well you can make your own! Purchase metal sheets at Hobby Lobby for $11 (use their 40% coupon). Get your glass jars that you may not use anymore, paint color of your choice, metal cutters, and hot glue gun. Measure your wire to your glass jar. Paint it the color you want. I primed mine with Krylon white primer and then used different gloss spray paints. Give the metal plenty of time to dry (overnight if you can). Then glue your metal to your jar one side at a time, again giving it enough time to dry on both ends. Put in a tall candle and there you have your very own custom candle holder for dollars!
Sewing Scraps - Have you ever thought to yourself "That's cute but I don't have the time or I couldn't do that"? Do you have 3 mins? That's how easy this is. For this you need a jar (I prefer the smaller mason jar) a scrap piece of fabric, and stuffing. First gather a small handful of stuffing, place your fabric over the top. Take your jar lid and tighten closing in the fabric ball. Pull your fabric tight to create a nice round ball on the top of the jar. Trim your fabric leaving a inch or two hanging out from the jar. Take the lid off and flip it over. Gather your fabric and hot glue in about 4 spots your fabric to the bottom of the lid, to create a secure top. Make sure it is glued in enough spots to stay but not to many that your fabric starts to gather and make folds. Put your jar lid back on and fill it with miscellaneous sewing nicknack's!!!
If you have seen those amazing DIY mirrors I thought why couldn't you do that but on a vase.
The tip is buy the Dollar Store plastic spoons and invest in some hot glue. All you need is your vase, spoons, hot glue, and ribbon if you want to put it on the bottom. I bought pink spoons so I didn't have to worry about painting them after. Cut your spoons at the beginning of the handle (see picture below). Start gluing your spoons at the top of your vase/container. Circle around until the first row is completed. Begin the next row by staggering, like shadowing the row above. Continue with this pattern until you reach the bottom. Before you glue your last row, I added a strip of ribbon so that it gave a more finished look to the bottom of the vase. Fill your vase with flowers and place on a high shelf for enjoyment!
Kids Craft - getting kids involved in crafts can make for a whole different experience! This adorable snow globe can be make for a few dollars with the only supplies needed as a mason jar, glitter, distilled water, and your choice of snow globe visual. I bought this winter tree at the dollar store and the glitter at the craft store. Glue your object to the lid upside down. Fill your jar with distilled water almost to the top and add glitter if you would like. I found glitter with little stars in it that I think add a little extra to the appeal. Place your lid on tightly and turn upside down. You have your own snow globe that you created in a matter of minutes. You could create a collection of these and display them as Holiday decorations for years!
Light it up! If you have a love for lighting you can combine the two with a mason jar and lights to create a DIY craft. IKEA sells light extensions for $5. Grab an old mason jar with a lid and a low voltage light bulb. I wouldn't suggest anymore than 20 Watts. Using a hammer and a nail, make a hole in the top of your lid the size of the bulb extension. Place your bulb in the jar and hang from a ladder, roof etc for a party or gathering. You could also create small lanterns with your other mason jars by wrapping wire around the rim, placing a candle inside and hanging.
Kids Craft - getting kids involved in crafts can make for a whole different experience! This adorable snow globe can be make for a few dollars with the only supplies needed as a mason jar, glitter, distilled water, and your choice of snow globe visual. I bought this winter tree at the dollar store and the glitter at the craft store. Glue your object to the lid upside down. Fill your jar with distilled water almost to the top and add glitter if you would like. I found glitter with little stars in it that I think add a little extra to the appeal. Place your lid on tightly and turn upside down. You have your own snow globe that you created in a matter of minutes. You could create a collection of these and display them as Holiday decorations for years!
Milk Glass - If you have seen those expensive and antique milk vases you know how beautiful they are. Would you like to save yourself some money and create your own? All you need is a vase, hot glue, and spray paint. The trick to this technique is gluing the dots on your vase. My tip is start at the top of your vase and figure out your spacing before hand. I did mine about 1/2 inch apart. When you hold your glue gun do a small dot and then as you pull your gun away from the glue slowly twist your gun in a circle motion and this helps create a perfect dot and helps eliminate those glue strings. Then you will prime your vase allowing time to dry and then paint it the color you desire. Typically most milk vases are white but you can also find them in pastel shades.
Precious Goods - If you love to decorate for the Holidays but have a fear of little fingers breaking your precious decorations here is a solution. At IKEA they sell these glass cases. You can fill your glass pieces and decorations inside this but still showing them off for others to appreciate. You could display your nativity scene, glass villages, etc in this case. Little eyes will still wonder in awe of them but yet your items will be safe from harm! I even filled mine with dollar store town buildings and spray painted them to make them look a little more color coordinated.
















No comments:
Post a Comment