I wanted to try something different than a typical Valentines box you may see.
When I grew up we would get our valentines ready, sealed stamped and ready to deliver!
Then we would wait until the night and drop them off on their doors and run and hide.
The anticipation killed me every time!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED!!!
2 15 x 13 pieces (front and back)
1 9x13 piece (flap)
2 4x20 (straps)
Iron on backing (interfacing with extra crispness)
Let's get started!
Take your straps and fold them in together and then fold once again. Stitch along the side creating a strap. Do this to both straps.
Cut all your pieces and iron on the wrong side of each piece your firm iron on backing.
For your flap fold right sides together making a piece that is 10.5 x 9. Sew along the two sides leaving the side open so you can turn it inside out. Then fold over ¼ inch and fold again creating a nice fold. Sew along that side finishing the flap. You can also top stitch along all 4 sides creating a finishing look. You get even get crazy and do a zig zag stitch if you want. I know crazy right??
Take your front and back piece and put them right sides together. Grab a glass or your nearest diet coke beverage and place the cup on the two bottom ends of your piece and trace around creating a rounded edge. Cut the corners on both pieces.
Now take your back piece and get your straps . Place them in approximately 2 inches from the side. Pin at both bottom and top. Sew them with a ¼ stitch.
Get your front and back pieces place them right sides together. Since your straps are bigger you will need to tuck and fold as you go along. Sew all 3 sides with a ¼ seam. Leaving the top open since that is the opening to your mail bag.
Take your flap and pin it center on your back piece You will overlap your straps by a ½ or so. Sew your flap on your back piece. Follow along your stitch from a previous step. That will make it a little cleaner. And now is when you can accessories your flap. I went the easy cheater way and just glued some accessories on since they are paper and I knew I would have to remove them if I ever needed to wash this. However if you want to add some fabric or something else you will want to add those before you originally sew your sides together on this piece.









No comments:
Post a Comment