July 18, 2010

Wasatch Back Relay 2010


I did it again. I'm crazy. I know. No need to remind me.  It was different this year, however since everyone in my family/regular team was either prego or just had a baby. They decided to put it on hold for a year. I needed some motivation however to get my booty off the couch and exercise and the only way to really do that is make me put up the money, knowing then I can't back out.  So I happen to come across several team members who live in my same area who needed a couple extra team mates so I said what the heck, why not I love pain. I love no sleep, I love exhaustion, I love humor, I love making new friends!!  I was in the first van this year and was runner #2. I lucked out and got one of the easiest legs to run.  My first run started around 11:00 and it was hot!!  I did ok, I didn't stop and that was my goal.  I knew I had one big hill at around mile #4 and it was my major goal not to stop once up that hill. I did it! I am happy to say that I was proud of myself. For one of the first times of my life. 

My second leg was around 9:00 and it was awesome. I love the night run the best. It's dark. You feel like its just you, your ipod, and the road.  Not like during the rest of the race where you can see all the cars passing you by, trying to motivate you, but it is nice to just have some breathing room during this race.  I did good again, if I say so myself.  I again just wanted to finish!  Don't get my wrong I'm not a fast runner, but steady as Casey likes to tell me.  I think that is a good thing?  During the race your inner competitive spirit comes out and you keep track of what you call "Road Kills" which are when you pass someone while running. Yes they have to be a running participant! You cannot count volunteers, dead animals, people in lawn chairs.  I tried to keep track, on my first leg I got 7, second I got 11 and, my third.....well I only got 4.  At this point when I was done with my second run it was around 9:30 but there are still 4 more runners to go in my van.  So we didn't finish until around 3 a.m where afterwards we went to a local high school and slept on the gym floor. Sounds glamorous right? It's not but you just don't care at this point. In fact I was so tired I slept with my reflective vest on and used a sweater as a pillow. Waking up about 3 hours later and actually feeling very refreshed.  The night run was fun though, we entertained ourselves by cheering on runners and calling random names out hoping someone would respond. It doesn't sound funny now, but trust me at 3 a.m in the morning it was! Very funny! 



My last leg was tough.  I have had problems with my left leg and I knew I was in trouble when I started at the hand off and could barely walk.  I literally hobbled like a peg leg for 3 miles.  It was awful. When I finished I was crying. More upset that I let my team down and taking so long.  I did not stop though!  Afterwards all our van had to do was sit and wait for the other van to finish their last runs so we could cross the finish line. I was excited because Casey and Olivia were going to come and see me at the finish line.  All sweaty and gross they were still happy to see me. When Olivia first saw me she said "Good Job Mommy, Good job!"  The finish line was cracy but pretty.  Now do I want to do it next year?????? We shall see. We shall see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I have a whole new respect for those runners since Mart and I were up there at the finish line this year for a getaway (just by accident!) and wow - you guys put yourselves through a lot! I would never do it! :)

CaraDee said...

Way to Go Ames! You are a glutton for punishment!

Lindsay and Mike said...

You are way awesome!!!

Melanie said...

I don't know how you do it! You are totally awesome.
The one lady in all the pictures with you..the one in the hat..is so dang funny! She was at Zumba one night when I was there and she was a crack up!