November 20, 2009

Wasatch Back 2009!

12 members (each member runs 3 legs, totaling 13 to 18.5 miles each).
2 vans, 6 runners in each van.
Supplies, IPods, sleeping bags, and coolers loaded with water, electrolyte-packed drinks, energy bars, bagels, nuts, fruit, and PEANUT BUTTER!

It is my 4th year doing this crazy thing I call FUN! And the thing is I pay a lot of money for what I ask. PAIN. NO SLEEP. EXHAUSTION. BUT LAUGHTER A WHOLE HECK OF A LOT OF LAUGHTER!!! Thanks to the "Lightly Chafed" team we have a great time. After 24 hours of running and 2 HOURS of sleep and only eating peanut butter, grapes, and jerky I am ready to do it again next year baby!! Here is a summary of what happened this year.

Started at 9:45
Ended: many many hours later!
Think of it as a 188-mile party with 12 best friends.


Nancy getting ready to roll!

Don't worry they are married, and for heaven's sake they are stretching folks!

Doesn't this look fun??? And not imagine doing it in the middle of the Utah summer heat and while cars are kicking up dirt in your face!! Wanna do it????

I love this picture for the simple fact that one of the reason's why I love this race is becuase you truly run in the backroads of Utah and in the most gorgeous parts of our state. So the fact that this picture has in the background a trailer and run down car I find ironic!

I also love this picture becuase it looks like I am running in slow motion. I really hate this but the point is so that one day I can prove to Olivia that her mama was tough one day!!

The whole gang. Go team LIGHTLY CHAFED!

One of the many gorgous views you get to enjoy during this hellish/fun experience. Its views like this that keep you going when you think you can't take one step forward.

Again why do we run in these conditions?

I love this lady!

Nancy is marking our "Road Kills" which are marks you keep track of for everytime you pass someone while running. One of the funniest/sad moments from this was when I was stoked to pass two ladies at the same time. Turns out one of the ladies is blind and the other was her helper. Um, I still counted it on my total!

Bless this man!! You get very familiar with Porta Potties during the race.

Start of the night run! Yes you DO NOT STOP RUNNING FOR 24 HOURS! Personally though I love my night run the most of the three. There is something about running in the middle of the night, with a head lamp, light vest, your running shoes, IPod, and the crisp weather. You can't tell who is in front of you or behind you (you can't think about it to much or it can freak you out) but it is truly so peaceful and you never get to do anyother time.

Danny getting ready to head out! Run Danny Run!

This picture I took after I had just finished by last run at about 5:00 in the morning. It was a sign that I had done it! One more goal accomplished and it felt so good! I am so proud of my team and how much they supported me, especially Nancy in my breakdown moment. She was there for me when I needed her the most.


So next year here we come.......maybe!!!

1 comment:

nancy said...

Amy i am so happy you took lots of good pictures. This makes me want to do it again this year.
You made it so dang fun, no wonder I love you so much...