March 24, 2014

Picnic Ideas

I'm a believer that half the fun of summer is eating outdoors not being stuck in the kitchen on a hot day. Picnics can be spontaneous and last minute or planned with your family and the neighbor next door. Things can be simplified and yet still beautiful to the eye. There are a few key things I think it takes to make a picnic a success.
#1 Where to sit?
 Wither you are having a picnic in our backyard or at the park, seating is usually the first dilemma.
 

 
 

 
Out with the old, in with the new. For a picnic in the backyard you can take that old folding chair and table and give them update. This is very simple to do, especially for someone who has wanted to try upholstery this is a good trial run. You can purchase this vinyl at Hobby Lobby, Joanns, or most craft stores. It typically runs between $12 - $16 a yard. I did my table and 4 chairs (standard size) for 2 1/4 yards. Spray painting your table and chairs first with a white primer and then the color of your choice. I left mine white because I liked the way it look with my plastic cover. Unscrew your original fabric back and seats with a simple Phillips screw driver. Depending on your chairs you will want to lay out our chair backs and seats and cut the plastic an extra 2 inches for folding. For my chair backs I cut a piece 21 x 11, seats 19.5x 19.5, and table top 39 x 39. Flip your chair over and simply tuck and staple at the top first. It works best if after your first staple you fold your item over, looking at the front and using your hands press out any creases or wrinkles. Holding in place flip back over and staple on the opposite side of your first staple. Then just circling around you will pull tightly your material and staple in place. This plastic is really easy to work with and very easy to pull tight for staples. After your paint is dry simply screw your back, seats and table top back in the legs of your chairs. And enjoy!!! Now no more embarrassing looks as you pull out your old table and chairs for those summer picnics.
 
 
Seating for 6
 



 
 Do you have the issue with getting to the park and realizing you forgot your blanket? Or the only blanket you want to use is to nice to sit on the ground with? Here is a great way to make your own blanket for just a few dollars. A blanket to leave in the trunk of your car. Go to your local hardware store, buy a 6x9 canvas for $9. If you would like to add some color to your canvas/blanket you can simply use leftover paint you have or buy a sample can in the paint department for $2. I wanted to add circles to my blanket in an ombre style. I used four different colors but you can stick with one if you would like. To make the shape I grabbed a bowl, poured my paint on a paper plate. Dipped my bowl in the paint and made a placed on the canvas,creating a perfect circle. Then using a paint brush I filled in the circle with the paint, allowing it to dry for 24 hours before using! Enjoy! Store in your car for easy picnic entertaining plus enough room to seat plenty of people!
 
 
 

No comments: