So the point of Pinterest is to get inspiration for projects and possibly try them for yourself. Well I can tell you I thought singlehandedly that this was going to be a cake walk and a easy DIY weekend! Well I am here to help you tackle the project of homemade curtains and all the do's and don't of DIY curtains.
I currently am renting my home so I feel limited to what I can/can't do with our walls. With the permission of our homeowner we were allowed to drill some holes for curtain rods. I've pinned the painted curtains tutorial several times and have been dying to try it.
Purchasing Ikea "Vivian" curtains for $9.99 I knew this project wouldn't break the bank either! The curtains come in a package of two for that great price. I read several tutorials on how and what products to use for the paint. The majority said to use a latex paint from your local hardware store. I used Benjamin Moore paint from Ace Hardware and color was Verdigris. The curtains are 98' in length so I figured that it would be best to do 11' stripes. And perfectly enough the cardboard that is in the packaging is close to that size!!! I combined two of the cardboard pieces and taped them together to make the 11'.
I currently am renting my home so I feel limited to what I can/can't do with our walls. With the permission of our homeowner we were allowed to drill some holes for curtain rods. I've pinned the painted curtains tutorial several times and have been dying to try it.
Purchasing Ikea "Vivian" curtains for $9.99 I knew this project wouldn't break the bank either! The curtains come in a package of two for that great price. I read several tutorials on how and what products to use for the paint. The majority said to use a latex paint from your local hardware store. I used Benjamin Moore paint from Ace Hardware and color was Verdigris. The curtains are 98' in length so I figured that it would be best to do 11' stripes. And perfectly enough the cardboard that is in the packaging is close to that size!!! I combined two of the cardboard pieces and taped them together to make the 11'.
Well don't you love when you start a project and then FAIL you drop the paint??
Yea that happened. On to the project.
So using my cardboard I started at the top measuring my lines and drawing on the fabric with a fabric pen in case I needed to erase some lines. Measuring the lines 11" apart. Then using painters tape I lined the fabric. Now get ready to paint! \I used a roller and applied two coats. The tip for this is try and roll out any wrinkles you may create when you apply the paint, roll in one direction length wise. The other tip I would suggest is once you have painted all your lines, allow your paint to dry for a minute or two and then very carefully lift up your curtains from the canvas to help eliminate it from drying and attaching to the canvas. After I hung up my curtains I noticed a MAJOR problem every light that shines through the window emphasizes the uneven paint strokes (even as hard as I tried to do my best).
TIP: I wouldn't recommend this option if you have to hang your curtains directly in front of your window. Every glimmer of light will show paint strokes and imperfections. Even with the stripes looking great and using a roller to paint the stripes it's the inability to get 100% evenly distributed paint on every stripe. They will however look good to hang to the sides of your windows if you desire.
So after I wasn't happy with the painted option I decided to try sewing on stripes of fabric to your curtains. Each curtain panel will need enough fabric for 4 stripes. I purchased 6 yards of 100% cotton at Hobby Lobby. With it being around $3.99 a yard it cost me $24 but I also used the 40% off coupon. So it wasn't as expensive as I expected. These drapes cost me around $20, what the what?? So inexpensive.
Here are some steps for cutting your stripes.
- I cut the fabric first at 62". Do this three times using all your fabric
- Then take each 62" piece and cut 3 12" pieces. So after you have cut all of your long pieces you will have 9 stripes. These are your stripes so they should be 12"x 62".
- Iron a 1/2" hem on the top and bottom of each stripe.
- Lay out your curtain piece and starting at the top measure lines 11" apart, using a fabric pen. You will have drawn 8 lines.
- Take a fabric piece starting at the top line you created and place your fabric on your curtain. Make sure that you stay completely even along your line. Sewing along the lines. Don't sew the bottom lines yet.
- Once you have sewn the tops of each of your stripes lay down your curtain. And precisely straighten your curtain and fabric on top of each other. Your fabric and curtain should line up exactly. Pin the bottom of your fabric to the bottom line on your curtain.
You should have easy curtains that look amazing!!!













1 comment:
Looks sooo great!!
Post a Comment