April 27, 2009

On a more serious "Note"!

I know I joke around a lot and give everyone a sense of my sarcasm side, but I really was touched by this and wanted to share. (and so you think I'm not immature 100% of the time)

The other day we had the opportunity to attend our Stake Conference were Elder Hales was in attendance.

My friend Amy is so talented and is a beautiful interpreter of Sign Language. Since she was going to be doing the interpretation for the conference she was given seats up on the front rows for reservation. Me being the person she loves most asked me if we wanted to join them (see my non-sarcasm can't last very long!).

We arrived and sat amongst several families with either the child who was deaf or one family where both parents had hearing impairments.

As the meeting began and they announced that the first song would be "I Am A Child Of God".

Which is my favorite primary song, I grew up singing out loud and now sing to Olivia on a daily basis.

As the song began and my eyes immediately filled with tears and I watched these children of God interpret in their own way so beautifully and gracefully with their hands.

And I couldn't help but feel sad for them, they don't have the privileged of hearing little children sing this song with their little gentle voices. On the other hand I was so touched by them, they were happy, they sing songs in their own way and it was GORGEOUS!

So it made me stop and think of again how grateful I am to my Heavenly Father who blessed me with something as simple as the sounds of life.

I won't take it for granted when I hear laughter.
I won't take it for granted when I hear music that I love.
I won't take it for granted when I hear the pitter patter of Olivia's feet when she comes running to me.
I won't take it for granted when I get to hear the sounds of life.
I won't take it for granted when I hear the words sung to I Am A Child Of God.

So thank you to those individuals who touched me without even knowing it.

3 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

You are awesome Amy! Thanks for posting this!

Jennifer Darger said...

Amy, this is beautiful. My husband has 2 deaf children from his first marriage and I felt the same way - they couldn't hear us sing lullabies, etc. My husband is now studying to be an ASL interpreter and watching him, as well as my own girls, communicate with the deaf community is fascinating. Let me tell you, our deaf daughters (for they are mine as much as they are his) don't miss a thing and enjoy every bit out of life as we do. The deaf community is strong and beautiful and nothing to be ashamed of. I am happy you had the opportunity to witness it and remember a wonderful blessing the Lord has given you!

Summer said...

Thank you for sharing and reminding us all of God's blessings... for all of his children.